Pages

Thursday 6 September 2018

One step at a time

Creepy news story today concerns a Chinese computer game. From the BBC -

Chinese technology giant Tencent is introducing tough new rules to identify under-age gamers, amid a crackdown on gaming addiction in the country.

From mid-September it will introduce a real-name registration system for its Honour of Kings games, which will be linked to China's public security database.

It will identify children and restrict the time they spend on the game.

The move is the first of its kind in the world's largest gaming market.


This story today, another story tomorrow, the potential reach of digital surveillance seems to have no practical limit. It is not so much that this is happening in China - the issue for those outside China is that their own government will be watching these developments.

4 comments:

Sam Vega said...

I've just had an email from a nice chap at some agency or other telling me that I have nearly reached my allocation of time on your blog. He said that thirty seconds every day was far too much time considering the paucity of intelligent content, and that I should think about getting a hobby.

Should I be worried?

A K Haart said...

Sam - it's the hobby you should worry about, especially if the email really comes from China because a number of suggested hobbies may follow.

Demetrius said...

Don't forget to polish your boots.

A K Haart said...

Demetrius - it's not my boots I'm thinking of.