Pages

Thursday 20 September 2018

If you can own the ear

This morning found us in a cafe, passing the time on a wet and miserable day. Nearby was a middle-aged woman wearing headphones and munching a muffin. I've no idea what she was listening to, could have been a talk on nuclear physics for all I knew, but she reminded me of this comment in a piece about Apple's latest gadgets.

It used to be commonplace to mock wearables; those clunky, uncomfortable things destined for dusty drawers. But this is the direction in which Apple is pushing.

Air Pods have become a phenomenon since they were introduced in 2017 - a step towards the normalisation of "always-in" earbuds. Once features such as auto-translate and sound filtering are added in (not today, but one day in the future), they could become as unmissable as the phone itself.

A Silicon Valley exec once told me that "if you can own the ear you can own the mind". Apple has taken a step towards that objective.


Techie hype perhaps, but there is a degree of ownership in the almost permanent proximity of modern gadgetry.

2 comments:

Sam Vega said...

"if you can own the ear you can own the mind".

That reminded me of Mr. Watkins, who was my house-master back in the late 1960s. Once he had hold of your ear, he could pretty much control any aspect of your being.

A K Haart said...

Sam - and that reminds me of William Brown. I'm sure I recall a pen and ink picture of William being controlled in this way.