Pages

Thursday 4 June 2020

What is he saying?



Barack Obama has added his voice to the national outcry over the death of George Floyd and the continued police brutality against black Americans.

"As tragic as these last few weeks have been, as difficult, scary and uncertain as they've been, they have been an incredible opportunity for people to be awakened."

He said the protests taking place across America are "a far more representative cross-section of America that did not exist back in the 1960s".

Ah I get it - Obama is saying that greater diversity now makes riots and looting more progressive, more woke and that's good, that gives us hope.

5 comments:

Graeme said...

He always did have that knack for making speeches that sounded grave and sententious but in fact conveyed no meaning whatsoever.

Sam Vega said...

My experience is very limited, but I guess he is right to say that riots are a superb opportunity to be awakened. I don't think I could sleep through an episode of murderously violent criminality outside my property.

Still, I'm glad to hear that participation is more diverse. I never was of the view that only blacks are savage uncivilised monkeys with poor impulse control. That would just be racism, wouldn't it? I'm glad to have this confirmed by the statesman.

A K Haart said...

Graeme - yes and he was good at it as long as people didn't try to pin down exactly what he meant. I don't think he always knew himself.

Sam - I'm glad to have it confirmed too, although I wish the statesman wouldn't remind us of his years in office.

Sackerson said...

You don't think he's subtle enough to say things that he knows or hopes will be taken out of context and interpreted as dog-whistles to rioters?

A K Haart said...

Sackers - I do think he's subtle enough but prefer to think he wouldn't do it intentionally but is prepared to go as close as possible. Probably not much difference.