Pages

Wednesday 26 June 2019

Mr Pastry and the Daleks





Sometimes browsing the internet can be just like rummaging through an infinite junk shop, an endless world of half-forgotten bits and pieces. For example - Dr Who fans will know this already, but apparently Richard Hearne, aka Mr Pastry, was once interviewed for the role of Dr Who. The mind boggles - or at least mine does but mine is easily boggled.

He was interviewed for the starring role of the BBC series Doctor Who after the departure of Jon Pertwee, but a disagreement over his interpretation of the role (he wanted to play the Doctor as Mr Pastry) led to no offer being made by the producer, Barry Letts. The role was subsequently offered to Tom Baker.

Maybe a slapstick Dr Who wasn't what the BBC had in mind. Tripping over Daleks, spilling paint on Cybermen, dropping his sonic screwdriver down a drain, breaking bits off the Tardis, losing the key. Not quite what Dr Who fans expect.

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

A memory is conjured for me; or more precisely a memory is almost conjured. When I was very young and on holiday with my family in Hastings, we wandered around a travelling circus camped in a big park there. You could see the lions in their cages, clowns wandered between caravans, etc., all presumably waiting for the show that evening. My parents pointed out a man who they said was Mr. Pastry, "off the telly!". It became a "childhood memory", something I boasted about to my peers. Except that I have absolutely no recollection of the event now, nor even what the bloke was like in his TV show. My memory is reduced to the words "I once saw Mr. Pastry".

Time travel, eh? more difficult than you might think.

Scrobs. said...

I used to work with a bloke who lived next door to Richard Hearne. in Bearstead, near Maidstone.

He was still there the last time I saw him, but he may have been exterminated by now...

A K Haart said...

Sam - I remember what he was like in his TV show - pretty hopeless. I even remember finding him unfunny.

Scrobs - I imagine Hearne was a more interesting chap than his Mr Pastry character might suggest.

Bill Sticker said...

Oh I don't know. Richard Hearne as Doctor Who? Couldn't be much worse than the current incarnation.

A K Haart said...

Bill - I don't watch it but even an outsider can tell the latest Doctor isn't popular with fans.