Pages

Saturday 8 December 2018

Creeping uniformity


This is a trivial example of creeping uniformity, but trivial examples slip under the radar and maybe they are mounting up under the radar too.

The other morning was dull and grey, so dull that the car decided to switch on its headlights, which it often does at this time of year because I leave the lights on automatic. Had the lights been set to manual I may not have bothered as it wasn’t that gloomy even to my old eyes. But they were set to automatic as usual so on they went.

As we drove towards Matlock I noticed that cars with their headlights switched on tended to be newer models while those with them switched off tended to be older. Presumably newer cars with automatic lights switch them on in response to similar light conditions.

It’s a trivial example of creeping uniformity. Wholly unimportant in itself and generally advantageous to road users, but to end on a light-hearted note perhaps the following applies even to such trivial uniformities as automatic headlights –

10 trivial = 1 significant
10 significant = 1 important
10 important = ?

3 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Coincidentally, I was having similar thoughts myself earlier today. I bought a couple of grapefruit, and realised that they are nearly all the ruby red ones these days. Thirty years ago, they were "special". Now they are, in small supermarkets and shops, the standard variety.

I guess the market decides these things, in that sellers buy in what sells best. The reverse is that companies also try to give us new products, and cater increasingly for niches.

Scrobs. said...

I like daylights.

When Volvo started using them all those years ago, it was an advertising gimic. Now, the lights come on every time, and I'm very grateful as I'll always forget to switch them on...

Now; wing mirrors... Can anyone help me understand the instructions please?

A K Haart said...

Sam - years ago I knew a chap who would bring a grapefruit to work for his lunch. He peeled and ate it like an orange. This would be older type with thick yellow skins.

Scrobs - ah wing mirrors. We only recently discovered that we can make them retract if we merely hold down the central locking button on the key fob for a few seconds.