Pages

Thursday 20 December 2018

Brexit boredom beater



As a brief antidote to Brexit boredom allow me to suggest this interesting booklet - Highlights in The History of Concrete by Christopher C. Stanley. I picked up a second hand copy on our travels today. Although it is only an introduction it does leave one with a thirst for more. For example there is this snippet.

It is possible that the Romans copied and developed the idea of making concrete from the Greeks.

Seems a little hard on the Greeks so to speak - but is the EU much better?

6 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Apart from the "BCA" (British Concrete Association?) logo at the top, the colour and font look as if they were inspired by a box of luxury chocolates. Bizarre.

Scrobs. said...

I would say, that on aggregate, a bet of 3 to 1 might just do the trick...

(You know I'm a concrete addict, Mr H...;0)

Sackerson said...

It was only a concrete suggestion.

Demetrius said...

It is nice to have some solid reading in the holiday period.

James Higham said...

As exciting as watching concrete set.

A K Haart said...

Sam - and all because the lady loves concrete.

Scrobs - I'm not an addict but I've always enjoyed laying a spot of concrete. Satisfying somehow.

Sackers - like Brexit perhaps.

Demetrius - surprisingly interesting too.

James - that's the best bit although I only watch it every now and then.