Pages

Sunday 27 August 2023

What exactly is it you do stand for?



Nadine Dorries' resignation letter suggests how hopeless it is to expect anything worthwhile from MPs.
 

Our commitment to net zero, animal welfare and the green issues so relevant to the planet and voters under 40, squandered. As Lord Goldsmith wrote in his own resignation letter, because you simply do not care about the environment or the natural world. What exactly is it you do stand for?


If the problems with Net Zero are not obvious now, they won't be until it is too late. If the silly glibness of phrases such as green issues so relevant to the planet is not obvious to all MPs then what exactly do any of them stand for?

6 comments:

DiscoveredJoys said...

Call me a cynic but I expect the resignation letter was designed to set up a new career as a pundit. I doubt that there are enough Net Zero critical pundit jobs available in the main stream media so Nadine Dorries has to make sure her 'CV' says all the right things. All the correct things.

Stewart said...

DiscoveredJoys - I did note that her announcement on Twitter didn't actually include her resignation letter - you had to follow a link to subscription-only Daily Mail Plus if you wanted to read it in full...

A K Haart said...

DJ - I suspect you are right and she may already have an offer to consider. She already sounds like a Guardian pundit.

A K Haart said...

Stewart - I picked it up from Sky, but maybe that suggests she is going to the Daily Mail.

Tammly said...

I don't think a lot of them stand for anything very much other than group think. There are so many things to be done in our society, economic, social and organisational but the thing they are definitely not standing for is how to earn the money to pay for everything.

A K Haart said...

Tammly - yes it's a long list. This morning I was asking myself what I'd say to our MP if he ever came to the door electioneering. He wouldn't have time to listen.