Pages

Monday 12 August 2019

Caroline’s ist list




From the BBC we have more about Caroline Lucas and her foot in mouth Brexit suggestion.

A Green Party MP has been criticised after suggesting an all-women "emergency cabinet" could meet to try to stop a no-deal Brexit.

Writing in the Guardian, Caroline Lucas said the cross-party group, formed of 10 female politicians, could "bring a different perspective".

Ms Lucas said the cabinet could organise another EU referendum if the PM is defeated in a no-confidence vote.

But cabinet minister Liz Truss criticised the plan as sexist.

Ms Lucas - a former leader of the Green Party - has also apologised after receiving criticism for only inviting white women to sit on her proposed group.


How many ists is that? I make it three – sexist, racist and fascist but which is the most important?

4 comments:

Scrobs. said...

I'd say she's also Brightonist! That ticks a few more boxes, but most of them are cardboard anyway!

And also, why does the awful BBC say "'A' Green Party MP", there's only one in the UK for goodness sake!

Sam Vega said...

"How many ists is that? I make it three – sexist, racist and fascist but which is the most important?"

For me, definitely the last one. She was obviously prepared for accusations of sexism, as her letter was proclaiming how much better women are at reaching consensus.

The racism is just her callow political stupidity in failing to see how her suggestion would fare in the fissiparous warfare of left-wing politics.

But she doesn't even understand the fascism bit. The attempt to impose her minority view by subverting democracy and building an alliance of people with the "right" credentials; and the corruption of language in calling this "consensus". That's true fascism in my book. It probably won't harm her, though.

At the end of the year I always berate myself for not noting candidates for your "Dork of the year" competition. I won't need to do that this year.

wiggiatlarge said...

"At the end of the year I always berate myself for not noting candidates for your "Dork of the year" competition. I won't need to do that this year."

She has certainly put in a late challenge for the award, but this has been a very rich year for the dorks to emerge, besides the usual suspects, Abbott,Lammy (he's had a very good year) etc we have had some new blood in the category, Wrong-Bailey is showing promise and Wory Stewart has gone for the niche sub category of the now you see me now I am invisible again award, there are more but time prevails.
Perhaps an international only section so that the likes of Trudeau and the new likely winner, "I make decisions on how I feel at the time" Jacinda Ardern, can be elevated to the heights of dorkness they deserve.
Then again I am getting carried away with the wealth of material available this year.

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - I noticed that too - 'A Green Party MP' indeed. First and last I hope.

Sam and Wiggia - I've been scratching my head over the Dork of the Year competition because as you say there are many obvious candidates. It's a worry. Prince Harry seems like a front runner but if he keeps quiet for a while there are plenty of others who are bound to pass him.