Pages

Thursday 2 August 2018

Lost bacon

source


I sat at an outside table next to the beach with a fresh bacon butty in front of me and a cup of coffee all ready to wash it down. With a blue sky and the sun glittering on the sea what could be more delightful?

Then without any warning, over my shoulder came a draught of air, a flapping of wings and a herring gull zoomed off over the beach with half my butty including most of the bacon. Not only that but it knocked over my coffee during the raid. Presumably they don't drink coffee.

Mildly annoying but I almost admire how slick it was. Didn’t touch me and the coffee was probably wafted over by the draught from its wing. Unpleasant birds but good at what they do unfortunately.

6 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Think how good they would be if they did drink the coffee.

Scrobs. said...

It would need that sustenance, after a seventeen mile flight from the nearest tip...

A K Haart said...

Sam - yes and the caffeine could get them off to an even earlier start.

Scrobs - good point and tip food may not be as sustaining as bacon butties.

wiggiatlarge said...

A bit like those moped gangs that swoop on mobile phones, now you see it, now you don't................

CherryPie said...

The same thing happened to me when I was in Eastbourne a few weeks ago. I was sitting on a bench to the seafront gardens which were seagull free. I was just finishing my last piece of fish when I felt a tug on the piece of fish I was holding causing me to exclaim! I found myself eye to eye with a seagull that had swooped down silently with precision from behind me. As my hold on the tasty morsel was greater than his, he let go and sat a couple of feet away from me eyeing me up. I removed the end of the fish that he had grabbed and finished the rest as several of his mates lined up with him eying me up.

A K Haart said...

Wiggia - they wouldn't swoop on my mobile phone, it's ancient.

Cherry - they have evil eyes don't they?