Pages

Friday 21 October 2011

A practical man

I bought a snow-shovel today. I've always made do with a piece of plywood nailed to a length of wood, a device I knocked together about 20 years ago, maybe more, but it's wearing out. I'd been told that Asda are selling them for £7, but when I paid them a visit today, they'd already sold out. Haven't Asda customers heard about snow being a thing of the past? Don't they know about climate models?

Anyway, I eventually managed to find one at Frank's this afternoon. It was his last one too and only cost £6.50.

"Everybody's prepared now," Frank said with a grin, "so there's no excuse."

I agreed with him, paid up, took my new snow-shovel home and put it in the shed. I didn't start a conversation about climate change and the snowy winters we aren't supposed to be having, because it isn't the kind of conversation you have with Frank. He's a practical man.

7 comments:

Macheath said...

Sadly our local practical man shut up shop and retired a year ago, having failed to find anyone prepared to take on the business.

Meanwhile the hardware shop in the nearest town was recently demolished to make way for a new shopping centre - you can now buy five different brands of mobile phone, but if you want six 2" screws, it's a 3-mile round trip to the DIY sheds by the railway line.

And the staff of those places aren't practical at all.

A K Haart said...

M- Frank's is an old style hardware shop where you can get anything and if he doesn't have it, he'll get it for you.

Macheath said...

Ours was like that too - over the years he found us an amazing variety of obscure fitments needed for repairs to a decidedly ramshackle Victorian house.

It's the knowledge I miss more than anything - he was a fount of essential information and answers.

The shop's now a takeaway - sign of the times, I suppose...

Sam Vega said...

Does Frank wear one of those brown storeman's coats?

A K Haart said...

SV - no but his till is his back pocket and his prices are all in his head.

Demetrius said...

May I thank all those buyers most sincerely for quaranteeing us all a mild winter.

A K Haart said...

D - that's what I was hoping for really - the best laid plans effect.