Pages

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Three illusions


You may well have seen this before, but squares A and B are the same shade of grey. Go to Edward H Adelson's website for an explanation. Photo editing software is good for showing how it's done.


The Lilac Chaser is another popular optical illusion. 



This less popular illusion is a tricky one. Apparently if you stare hard enough at the image you may catch sight of a Prime Minister. I can't see it myself - all I see is a PR hack for vested interests. Maybe rose-tinted specs would help.



10 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

That A and B one gets me every time, even though I know the answer. The lilac one is cool, I get the rotating green disc with a grey background after about five seconds.

Demetrius said...

If May goes, can he last?

rogerh said...

Very good. But not as tricky as Teresa.

A K Haart said...

MW - what gets me about the lilac chaser is that I can't stop it.

D - I hope not, but who might replace him?

rogerh - I had a wide choice though.

David Duff said...

Blue-tinted specs might be even better to give you the illusion of Toryism.

A K Haart said...

DD - I think the voters of Witney bought up the whole stock.

Anonymous said...

I really think you should have put in the customary health warning before posting that third one. I mean, those of a nervous disposition could easily choke or something. Even I felt quite odd for a while.

A K Haart said...

ac - I mistakenly assessed the health risk as negligible - mixing it up with the risk of him achieving anything worthwhile.

James Higham said...

When I stare at the lower one, I just get Blair.

A K Haart said...

JH - I get bilious, but I know what you mean.