Pages

Wednesday 8 May 2019

Polyester clothing




We were walking in the Eyam area again today. It rained all day and was cold up there in the hills but that did not detract much from the walk. Okay the views would have been more impressive with better visibility but it was atmospheric and good to be out in the elements. As we sat under dripping trees eating our lunch I remarked how good modern clothing is at keeping those elements at bay.

Apart from socks our outer walking clothes are made almost entirely from man-made fibres. Mainly polyester as far as I can see, although nylon, elastane, and polyurethane are used too. Not much cotton or wool and certainly no silk although I do have a scarf made from Merino wool and my boots are part leather.

Every winter and every time we go walking in poor weather I notice the same thing - outdoor walking clothes are warmer and generally more practical than traditional clothing made from natural fibres. If I walk around the house in just a few layers of walking gear I’m warmer than usual.

Yet our ordinary clothes are often made from cotton or wool, presumably because these fibres still have some cachet. Of course there is a recycling issue too. A nettle still to be grasped no doubt.

3 comments:

Sam Vega said...

My son got me a waterproof jacket made by Rab. I don't know much about such things, but they are quite expensive apparently and he got it free because his company helped finance them. It really is a superb item. You could probably stand under the shower in it and not get wet, and it's also got loads of thoughtful little refinements which keep you comfortable. If I'm wearing that, a fleece and my waterproof trousers, the weather can do what it likes.

I guess in the bad old days, you just waited until the rain came soaking through your layers of expensive tweed and twill. I vividly remember the awfulness of having a waterproof jacket which the rain rolled off, only to soak your trousers. I'd rather stay in than put up with that again. A really decent pair of waterproof trousers is a must for any civilised country pursuits.

wiggiatlarge said...

It is an area that only old memories can dredge up the sort of clothing used for outdoor pursuits and sport, my old cycling gear did not include Lycra or any Goretex fabric items, racing shorts were wool.
But the outstanding example of how people used almost everyday clothing outdoors was a picture of George Mallory climbing Everest in a tweed jacket and woolly gaiters, to think he may or may not have made the top or anywhere near it dressed like that is unthinkable these days.

A K Haart said...

Sam - we wear Rab jackets too - Rab is based in Derbyshire not far from here although the garments are made somewhere in the Far East. I well remember rain running off a waterproof onto my trousers. A Gannex coat was particularly hopeless in this respect. At least a tweed jacket would absorb a few pints before wetting your trousers.

Wiggia - I could never understand how George Mallory got as far as he did dressed like that.