Pages

Tuesday 13 November 2018

Blue jeans


A mother holding her baby and an older woman walk into a cafe. Clearly they are grandmother, mother and baby – three generations taking a coffee break although baby has a bottle of milk from Grandma’s shopping bag. This much is obvious.

Baby’s mother wears blue jeans with fashionable knee rips. Not quite the thing for a young mother but she just about carries it off. Grandma wears blue jeans too, also with fashionable knee rips. A somewhat bony knee peeps out when she sits down. On Grandma they don’t work. Someone gave Grandma a dubious fashion tip - maybe the culprit was Daughter.

To my jaundiced eye it isn’t easy to wear blue jeans unless one is young and tolerably shapely. Convenient and cheap they may be, and that’s why I wore them for years, but on older folk even brand new faded jeans soon look like gardening trousers. Unfaded blue jeans look cheap even if they aren’t. After a certain age they rarely work.

8 comments:

Sackerson said...

Young and pretty could wear a potato sack and still look good.

Sam Vega said...

When buying, I tend to go for trousers that are roughly the same shape and style as baggy jeans (I suppose there are technical terms for all this stuff) but are not made from denim. Any rips in the knees weren't there when I bought them. Kneeling on the garage floor painting the garden bench with linseed oil did for the current pair.

I do notice lots of people staring at me when I wear them. It's the price you pay for being a fashion icon.

Demetrius said...

In my day, jeans were only worn by those males of the lowest orders who had been Americanised and jerked about pretending they were tough etc.. At the time young ladies often took the view that they were rather stupid and that National Service might cure them of the habit. It was when the two TV channels started competing in pop music that the rot started.

A K Haart said...

Sackers - yes and jeans with baggy knees are not far removed from the potato sack challenge.

Sam - kneeling on the drive painting the gate with Ronseal did for my Tesco trousers.

Demetrius - yes I remember when jeans had a certain tough guy image. Maybe some people think it never went away.

Scrobs. said...

There was a time about fifteen years ago, when baggy cords were a required item of fashion.

I rather liked those shapeless trousers, but soon reverted to M and S jeans which came in different colours!

But if Cotton Traders goes pop, I don't know what I'll do...

wiggiatlarge said...

"but on older folk even brand new faded jeans soon look like gardening trousers. "

that's what my wife says and I wear them everywhere............................

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - I recently bought a pair of cords. May as well look my age.

A K Haart said...

Wiggia - my wife says the same which is the main reason I no longer wear them. The ladies are right.