Pages

Sunday 3 September 2017

A few inches of modesty

source

He recognised the gardener's daughter, a girl who had been confirmed last Easter and had just begun to wear long skirts. To-night, however, she was dressed in one of her old dresses which barely reached to her ankles.

August Strindberg - Married (1884)


Strewth, what’s the distance between enticing ankle and modest floor? I’ll get my tape measure...

...about four inches I’d say, including the heel of my shoe. No wonder Freud was invented.

7 comments:

James Higham said...

And what's the proper distance for a man's bloomer shorts? The knobbly knees?

Scrobs. said...

That's the length for girls' winter skirts at several schools round here, Mr H.

They all look great, are warm when it matters, and that's the short skirt/bum showing syndrome solved in one easy method.

When Mrs O'Blene was teaching small tots, even her uniform had to be 'skirts - no trousers', which was ridiculous as she spent most of the time playing their games on the floor and getting filthy!

(sigh)...

Demetrius said...

Katisha. But I have a left shoulder-blade that is a miracle of loveliness. People come miles to see it. My right elbow has a fascination that few can resist.

A K Haart said...

James - depends on the legs, worth showing off or better hidden.

Scrobs - when Mrs H was at school, patent leather shoes were banned because it was thought that they might reflect what they shouldn't reflect, whatever the length of skirt.

Demetrius - my father was a fan and took part in a few amateur performances.

The Jannie said...

A consultant once remarked that I had a spectacular scapula. I've treasured it ever since; in fact, I wouldn't be without it.

A K Haart said...

Jannie - just the one?

The Jannie said...

He was referring to the leaping about it did as a result of an injury to shoulder muscles.