Pages

Wednesday 7 January 2015

Ignored


We took Granddaughter to one of those soft play centres today. It gives her a chance to run around when the weather is miserable.

Being a weekday, the place was full of pre-school toddlers enjoying themselves. Two boisterous little boys were particularly noticeable, running around everywhere letting off steam. They were fine though - too little to be doing any harm.

The parents or grandparents, sit around drinking coffee and every now and then the little ones persuade them to join in the fun for a while.

Those two little boys never seemed to do that. I never saw them touch base with an adult. Not even a glance or a look at me, although I could have missed one or two of those.

I don’t think so though. As far as I could see they were ignored for two hours and showed every sign of being used to it. Sooner or later a primary school teacher will be dealing with that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have clipped them round the ear and then told their parents that it was just your way of saying you loved them.

I would have stood up for you as a character witness!

A K Haart said...

David - I never found out who their parents were. There was no contact whatever.

Yvonne said...

Reminds me of a comment I clearly remember my father making, I was only about 10 at the time yet it must had quite some impact on me; my younger brother aged then about 5 (still pre-school and prior to pre-school nurseries and playgroups) was playing with his little mate, barefoot and dirty, my father said "Happy as pigs in muck until they get to school"

A K Haart said...

Yvonne - good point. In that sense kids of my generation were ignored while we ran around outside, climbed trees and so on. Although we knew where the boundaries were too.