Pages

Saturday 28 April 2018

A lone voice

Catherine Blaiklock has an interesting article in Conservative Woman. I'll add a couple of quotes to pass on some of the flavour but the whole thing is worth reading - it's quite short.

This week I went to a sixth-form college in a small Norfolk town for a ‘Question Time’ event.

I didn’t sleep very well the night before. I knew what was coming: two hours of torture...

...And then we got to the question that summed up the afternoon for me. As an aside, few people know the following. In the referendum, in almost all age groups there was not a lot of difference in voting between sexes. But the big difference was in the 18-24 age group. Young men voted 60 per cent remain, 40 per cent out. Now although this is a majority, it is not massive, and from what you would have heard from young people, you would never believe that 40 per cent of young men voted to leave. But the really staggering statistic is that women aged 18 to 24 voted 80/20 to remain. And when I go to these events, it is the girls who are often extremely aggressive and vocal social justice warriors.

It takes courage to do this kind of thing, I certainly wouldn't do it.

5 comments:

Sackerson said...

I look forward to an explanation of the gender-based difference in attitude. Maybe it's something to do with a change of perspective when one has children of one's own - the generalised love for humanity - and therefore the EU - becomes much more focused?

James Higham said...

Oh yes, and with scrambled brains to boot. They were my profession for many years.

Demetrius said...

When schools went comp' in areas with small secondary schools, grammar and sec'mod, the answer was often a sixth form college at 16 plus. At the time many thought this was a good idea. But they became a sort of rarified place for teenagers who did not work and did not intend to for some time. Nowadays we have lots of people adult in age terms but still kids at heart with simple ideas about the world. I recall there was a time when 16 year old officers commanded men in battle.

wiggiatlarge said...

Yet Norfolk was a vote leave area, so what are they teaching them at school ?

A K Haart said...

Sackers - could be a number of linked explanations such as the perception of risk, fear of any change which comes too early in life or general attitude to the status quo.

James - not a career I'd choose.

Demetrius - yes, my father joined the Royal Navy at an age when these kids are ranting about rights.

Wiggia - I don't know but maybe much of it comes from outside school.