Pages

Thursday 17 July 2014

The action is elsewhere.


Roger's typically pithy comment on the previous post about Cameron's reshuffle. Enjoy.

So, with UKIP gone and Milliband floundering I find it hard to see what useful purpose this reshuffle serves. Just rearranging the deckchairs whilst we squabble importantly about who sits next to who at the EU jelly and blancmange party. Perhaps Mumsnet will swing it.

I do get the feeling that much bigger forces are at work, the world's media moguls are carving up the market for hearts and minds. We have become consumer cash-cows - and you know what comes next. Big finance is beginning to short-circuit the West. Here at home the iron fist is beginning to show through the velvet. Gradually we become like one of those dusty southern Europe towns with old men sitting under a tree while old women natter and the children have moved away.

Our leaders live in a theatrical world of faux power and influence, the play goes on but no-one is in the auditorium, the action is elsewhere.

4 comments:

Scrobs. said...

I think that the more ancient I get, the less I really bother about these people Mr H.

Having spent a life so far in proper business, the knowledge that most of these people are just noisy, and unpleasant, with very little experience of commerce, just makes me ignore them, rather like I ignore tattooed morons, and fat arses.

I've got far too much to do here than consider the implications of the chatterati, who just spend my taxes!

A K Haart said...

Michael - the same feeling creeps up on me too, but at the moment it's still fun to have a dig at them.

James Higham said...

So, with UKIP gone

Eh, quite the opposite.

A K Haart said...

James - I read it as gone from the headlines.