Pages

Tuesday 8 September 2020

Good going for eighty



An 80-year-old hiker who went missing for three days in the Yorkshire Dales has spoken at a press conference arranged in a bid to track him down.

Harry Harvey spent three nights wild camping after becoming separated from a walking group between Gunnerside and Tan Hill, North Yorkshire, on Saturday.

In our Ramblers walking group, even experienced walkers tended to drop out of the longer walks by their mid seventies. I wonder how many MPs could match Mr Harvey's endurance? We ought to find out.

2 comments:

Sam Vega said...

I imagine he had done a lot in his earlier life to build up mental and physical toughness. Not just the hiking stuff - he might have had a tough manual job, or had to deal with adversity. Good story with a happy ending.

I also note that our local ramblers club have started up again. Like so much, I hadn't realised they had stopped, but their excited chatter as they left the Village Hall and passed our house was heard at its usual time of 09.10 on Monday morning. Only then did I realise I hadn't heard it for months.

A K Haart said...

Sam - that excited chatter sometimes annoyed me when we walked with the Ramblers. Large groups seemed to attract a number of people capable of chattering continuously through the entire walk. Mostly women, but one or two men would drone on and on and on.