Pages

Saturday 13 January 2018

Coffee Logs

source

I recently bought a pack of coffee logs from the local garden centre for use in the wood burner. These are artificial logs made from compressed coffee grounds. Very expensive but I hoped for a faint aroma of coffee while burning.

Testing almost complete. They burn well and give off lots of heat, but no coffee aroma while burning. Just a whiff of coffee left on the fingers after handling the things. An imaginative idea I thought, but at about £1100 per tonne typically environmental - expensive with no real advantages. I'm burning the last few as I write.

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Would you say that this coffee is for mugs?

Clacket said...

Mug born every minute? Clearly spending too much time exposed to the cultural lacunae known as modern garden centres. Whatever happened to the public libraries? Are they not still free?

‘More bloody money than sense’, as my cantankerous old Irish Granny drilled into us kids. Though I’ll grant that the forbidding old biddie’s other great pearl that I recall; ‘Hit him, he’s only a clerk!’, did, later in life, in fact turn out to be questionable advice …

It would be nice if someone could be bothered to invent a plastic burning wood-burner. Solve a few problems at a stroke!

wiggiatlarge said...

I have been lucky in never having to pay for wood for the burner, at the rate I get through it using those coffee logs would bankrupt me, that is a horrendous price, do they come with gold plated firelighters !

Sackerson said...

Grounds for rejection?

A K Haart said...

Sam - definitely. A talking point at best.

Clacket - or maybe invent a plastic which can be burned in the wood burner.

Wiggia - lucky you, never having to pay for wood. We don't pay much, usually a £75 load each year is enough.

Sackers - solid grounds for rejection, but not fireproof.