Pages

Thursday 25 September 2014

After the conference?



This little figure of a clown was carved from linden wood by Pascal Bosshardt of Thannenkirch in Alsace. We were there last year and bought the figure after watching him at work. To take the photo I stood the clown by a pound coin to give an idea of scale. 

I'm fascinated by this kind of skill, probably because I'm so far from being able to emulate it. I just don't have the coordination between hand and eye, the sense of scale and proportion. This was one of his simplest pieces too. 

I don't know what inspired M Bosshardt to carve it, but to my eye the clown could be an ironic reference to politics. A clown blowing his own trumpet. Doesn't quite work because his expression has a touch of melancholy. 

After the conference?

4 comments:

Demetrius said...

We camped once at Rhinau, on The Rhine, quite near. Tonight, we may have a glass or three of Alsace Gewurztraminer.

A K Haart said...

Demetrius - a luscious wine. We drink it regularly.

Anonymous said...

A bit Italianate for my tastes. Something rather sinister about clowns, personally the woodburner would beckon, whether this is a message regarding those other trumpet blowers - perhaps a large stake and a pile of old faggots would be better?

A K Haart said...

Roger - clowns are a little sinister, but I don't see it in this one.