Pages

Monday 14 May 2018

On the box – the royal wedding


We’ll be taking the grandkids to their local leisure centre on Saturday. It’s what we usually do because this is when Granddaughter has her swimming lesson and we like to sip coffee and watch her energetic progress. So far so good.

However - in my innocence it had not occurred to me that there may be fewer people than usual at the leisure centre because many will be watching the royal wedding on TV. I assumed it would be a minor attraction at most but Mrs H thinks not and she tends to see into these matters more clearly than I do.

In which case parking will be noticeably easier so I’m in favour of royal weddings. We should have one every Saturday.

4 comments:

Sam Vega said...

I remember the last Royal Wedding: whatshisname who has gone bald and that Kate woman. I had a really bad infection in my eye, and as the Doc's was closed the answerphone message sent me to the local hospital. I waited ages, and then finally got to the front of the queue and explained my problem to the nurse. I was feeling really ill and pissed off with the wait, my head was pounding and I could only see out of one eye. I thought I was a proper object of pity and compassion.

While explaining, I noticed that the nurse was only feigning attention. She was looking over my shoulder towards a big TV monitor that I hadn't noticed before. When I turned round to see what was more interesting than my eye infection, I realised that everyone else in the waiting area was watching it avidly as well. She noticed that I had noticed that she wasn't really listening. "Oh, I'm sorry", she said. "Could you say that again? He's just about to put the ring on her finger!".

Demetrius said...

Be careful what you wish for.

James Higham said...

You didn’t score an invite then?

A K Haart said...

Sam - interesting story and so like the NHS. Hopelessly unprofessional but we overlook it because we are in their hands.

Demetrius - good point. I've changed my mind.

James - seems not - unless it was nicked by someone at Royal Mail.