Pages

Monday 12 March 2018

A whiff of nostalgia


The other day found us at a kids’ soft play area near to closing time. A young staff member was clearing up the mess of the day, setting tables and chairs straight, collecting rubbish and giving the tables a wipe.

She was a least three stone overweight and doing the job at about a third of the rate I would done it. Probably a crap temporary job on minimum wage, but she reminded me of the famous British Rail slouch from the pages of railway history. 

Excuse me, when is the next train to Perdition?
Dunno

I believe Jeremy Corbyn wants to bring it all back, the nostalgic old coot.

3 comments:

Scrobs. said...

I wonder what type that silly old Corbyn bloke would have been in 'Room at the top'?

'Fading grey zombie' maybe?

He'd have been doing his job at the council at the same speed as your example!

wiggiatlarge said...

When my late mum was wanting to move from her council flat to be near her daughter, she was over eighty then, my sister had to deal with Hackney Town Hall, it took months to even get to the first stage and unless you went there and banged tables nothing happened and even then slowly.
If you phoned, and I joined in with the dubious pleasure that gave, Mondays you would never be able to get through, never try and phone after 4 in the afternoon as no one would answer and Fridays after 2 in the afternoon they actually admitted that no one answered the phone because all had gone home, I doubt there is any change.

And I am sure Jezza would praise all involved for their diligence and want to expand the model elsewhere.

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - yes he never came across as a hard worker. 'Fading grey zombie' seems about right.

Wiggia - I think Jezza shows the same degree of diligence. Decades of opportunity to acquire some relevant expertise and what has he done?