Pages

Tuesday 10 October 2017

Darwin Awards - a near miss

From The Local we hear about a game attempt at the Darwin Awards.

A Danish man was injured over the weekend after he was shot in the stomach by a friend.

The 30-year-old had asked his friend to shoot him in the stomach with an air rifle "to see how it felt", according to reports in the Swedish media.

But the prank went so badly wrong that the friends had to call an ambulance, and the victim was taken to hospital where he needed surgery.

"He survived, but it could have been worse," Helena Renberg, a local police spokesperson, told Sveriges Radio. "He was in a bad way, but was operated upon."

She said that the victim did not want to press charges, so the police would not be taking the matter any further.

7 comments:

Scrobs. said...

"She said that the victim did not want to press charges"

So they had another stupid idea up their sleeve did they?

I'd have thought a .22 slug would be bad enough compared with a landmine...

Sam Vega said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam Vega said...

"The 30-year-old had asked his friend to shoot him in the stomach with an air rifle "to see how it felt", according to reports in the Swedish media."

Long ago I worked in a unit for very naughty children. During lunch one day, one teenager stroppily pushed his plate away and said "I'm not eating this. It tastes like shit!"

The unit manager challenged him. "Don't talk nonsense, Darren! You can't say that. Apart from being rude, you don't even know what shit tastes like."

"Oh, don't I? I do know what shit tastes like!"

"Don't be stupid, Darren! How could you possibly know what shit tastes like?"

"Well, once when I went to the toilet, I wondered what it tasted like, and I tasted a little bit of it. So there."

"Oh, really, Darren? And what did it taste like?"

[Thoughtful pause from Darren...]

"Actually, it tasted like shit!"

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - I hope they had another stupid idea up their sleeve. We need such people to show us what other types of stupidity there are apart from the political nonsense.

Sam - Darren had the makings of a scientist. Opinion isn't enough - experiment is the crucial test.

James Higham said...

I love this self-actualizing Darwin tendency. They appear, they shine in their folly, they explode. Might just be my life too.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I did 'interesting' experiments I did tend to start small and work my way up. That way I and others got fewer nasty surprises. Darren had the right idea.

A K Haart said...

James - not quite this level though I'm sure :)

Roger - we assume he started small.