Pages

Tuesday 2 May 2017

Strewth I’m idle



Yesterday Mrs H made some veggie pâté so I decided to make a loaf of bread to go with it. Sadly, after the pâté ingredients had been weighed out, the kitchen scales complained of a low battery and steadfastly refused to weigh even one more item. A feeble little 'Lo' appeared on the display for about a second before the thing went into an electronic coma. 

I make bread using a breadmaker and reasonably accurate quantities are important, but at the time I didn't want to toddle off to the shops merely to buy a new battery, so what to do?

Simple. I logged into Amazon and ordered a pack of two batteries for 24 hr delivery. Yes I suppose I could have nipped out to Sainsbury’s for batteries and made the loaf yesterday, but why bother when it is so easy to click, click, click even if one has to wait a day for delivery?

My little package of batteries was shipped out from Peterborough overnight and popped through the letterbox today while we were out visiting. When we returned I breathed new life into the kitchen scales via one of those brand-new, fresh from Peterborough batteries and my loaf should be ready in a couple of hours.

Where does it all end though? How idle is it possible for a chap to be? In future will I have any real need to leave the house at all?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new NHS App will auto order a nice flatpack coffin if it thinks you are a bit peaky. A few days later a couple of chaps from Uber will call by....

Mac said...

A K Haart,
And the town streets, built for nothing wider than a chariot, are getting increasingly hard to negotiate owing to all the supermarket delivery vans dropping off a pack of flour. Oh, and delivering batteries...

James Higham said...

I try to go mechanical on as much as poss, including scales. That way you can always fool yourself.

Demetrius said...

The congregation will now stand and sing the hymn "Cwm Rhondda".

wiggiatlarge said...

Wait until they have "drone" deliveries and you can stand in your garden and await the incoming flight, will we have washing machines delivered by drone, could be interesting!

A K Haart said...

Roger - unfortunately my mobile phone is so old it won't run apps. Maybe I'll become digitally invisible.

Mac - I've noticed that too, which reminds me I have another order to send off...

James - we used to have mechanical scales but the digital gizmo is much smaller and neater.

Demetrius - my bread isn't quite that good, but usually it's not bad.

Wiggia - imagine sitting in the garden and having a sudden yen for cream cakes. Click, click and thirty minutes later the cream cake drone appears with your order.