Pages

Thursday 30 April 2015

North begins at Crich

Crich Stand
source

From the Guardian we learn that the north of England begins at Crich in Derbyshire.

People find it very hard to agree on the exact point where the north of England begins. This is one of the north’s defining characteristics: it doesn’t matter which part you come from, there’s always someone more northern to tell you what a soft southern moron you are. In my mind, the north starts at the village of Crich, in Derbyshire. 

In which case I must be a southerner as I can see Crich Stand (not Tower) by gazing roughly due north from the end of our street. Or I could until a new storage shed blocked the view. Now I have to walk a little further.

3 comments:

Demetrius said...

Sorry to disagree but my vote is for the Waterloo Tower at Burton on Trent, one of England's holy places.

Anonymous said...

Nah! Anywhere norf of the M25, as any fule do no!

A K Haart said...

Demetrius - in the seventies, a few house moves ago, we could see the Waterloo Tower from our bedroom window.

David - does real life occur inside the M25?