Pages

Monday 30 March 2015

The first sceptic

source

I went to my special place to be alone while a great rain came. Battles raged high in the sky with flashes and a noise like great drums. The flashes are as bright as the Sun. I see them still when I close my eyes but they fade until the next one comes.

Teller says the gods are angry when great rains come, when the sky drums sound their warnings. He says they must be appeased by offerings. Teller tells many things. For Teller is Teller and we are told. It has always been so... so Teller tells.

But I see rains make things grow. Many things grow after the rains and many animals grow fat by good feeding and there is good hunting too. So we grow fat like the animals. We all see that. Teller and told see that.

Earlier I was sad. Little sister was offered back to the earth. She passed from the living even though Mother did as Teller had told she should do. Mother did as Teller told and bathed little sister in the Great River under the moon goddess.

Mother held little sister in the dark waters and the moon goddess gazed down and little sister cried faintly. But still little sister passed from the living...

...so it was not as Teller had told.

Father was very angry when I said Teller had told Mother badly. “Teller is Teller and there is no bad telling,” said Father. “We are the told. Teller and told it is always this way. So you must learn.”

So I must learn...

In my special place I am at peace while time passes. Until Sun sleeps and I must return to sleep until Sun wakes once more. One day perhaps I shall be Teller...

If so...

If so I shall not Tell badly...

I shall Tell what is.

2 comments:

Sam Vega said...

My guess is that Teller started off with a positive function: remembering what people had discovered, and reminding the tribe of important things. Maybe all Tellers start out as sceptics. But he's only human, poor bloke, so he makes mistakes. Trouble is, being human also means that he's got a bit of an ego and doesn't like being corrected. And because he was given high status and more power because of his (erstwhile?) usefulness, he's got the clout to back himself up.

He got the best breeding opportunities, too, which may well be why we are currently so deep in the mire. Evolution favours the self-confident bullshitters...

A K Haart said...

Sam - in a way, hierarchies are nested Tellers where most are petty Tellers hoping for higher things.

You make a good point about evolution - what is the Tellers role when everyone can know everything anyway?