Pages

Friday 14 February 2014

What does the internet think?

There's an odd site called whatdoestheinternetthink.net. It's been around for a few years as far as I can tell.

Enter a search term and it tells you how "popular" the term is on the internet. Quite what it is supposed to be doing behind the scenes to generate internet "popularity" I've no idea. Presumably it's hit count, but which hits are being counted? The thing is a little sparse with explanations. It also allows the comparison of two terms.

For example, it says flooding is much more popular than Nick Clegg. Well I'm not one of Nick's few fans, but the result seems a little unlikely even to me. Maybe it's that word "popular", but if it's just hit counts why not just say so? We can get that from Google.


It even claims that flooding is more "popular" than strawberry jam. I'm not sure how many people would align themselves with that one, but it can't be a vast number. 


2 comments:

Demetrius said...

Cogito ergo click?

A K Haart said...

Demetrius - I'm not sure about the cogito in this case though.