Pages

Sunday 16 February 2014

Dead Dysons

From Wikipedia

We took our defunct Dyson vacuum cleaner to the local dump recycling centre today. As I added our contribution to a folorn little huddle of dead vacuum cleaners, I noticed five out of six were Dysons. The outsider was a lone Vax.

The sample is too small for stats of course, but I've noticed before that people seem keen on chucking them out. We've had a few Dysons and I can't claim they were worth the extra money. They work fairly well and you don't have to buy bags, but ours didn't last any longer than previous non-Dyson cleaners and I'm not so sure about their performance.

Bags may loose their suction as they fill up, but I'm sure our Dysons have not given us a more dust-free house. We now have a Miele with a bag and so far it seems superior to the Dysons in that it actually does what a vacuum cleaner is supposed to do. It sucks up the dust and keeps it in that bag - all of it as far as one can tell.

13 comments:

Scrobs. said...

I'm afraid that's why he's a squillionaire!

The whole twirly suction idea is a puff as far as I can see.

I assume he got some gummint funding...

...from labour of course, they love scams.

Sam Vega said...

Local dump indeed, you cynic! I'm actually looking forward to when we recycle our Dyson, because I assume that it will then be given to an African village and turned into a water purification plant.

I've found that the best thing about them is the transparent dust container. No need to take things apart and empty the dust-bag when searching for small lego bricks, finger-puppets, and the like. Apart from that, their performance is nothing special. To be English, and display "ingenuity" in design, is a brilliant marketing strategy.

A K Haart said...

Michael - yes it's too easy to be sucked in by the marketing. It's inventive, but not as good as claimed.

Sam - it is brilliant, although he spend years developing the thing too. I think proving he was right was his initial motive.

Thud said...

I bought a bunch of them for some properties a few years back and they all bit the dust (urgh) pronto....now little red henry is another beast altogether.

A K Haart said...

Thud - I just bought a little red henry for cleaning round the wood burner - we had them at work and they ran for years.

Sackerson said...

Not all Dysons are Dysons, he's obviously licensed Hoover at al. to make me-toos.

The shape of the stand-ups makes them a bit unwieldy, haven't tried the dinky new ones.

Henry is great, though eventually his nose tends to fall off what with all that pulling around.

Love that bit in the Pink Panther movie where Clouseau runs amuck and vacuums up the parrot.

A K Haart said...

Sackers - we've given up on uprights in favour of a Miele for general cleaning and a Henry for the messy stuff.

I miss Clouseau.

Yvonne said...

There is a reason why most cleaning companies and technicians use the red Henry. They are robust, they suck and nothing gets stuck in a complex filter system.

Anonymous said...

Just get the missus going with a dustpan and stiff brush - much cheaper and they run for years, so I'm told!

A K Haart said...

David - the only thing that puts me off the old dustpan and brush is that it's so environmentally friendly.

A K Haart said...

Yvonne - that's right, we used them at for years in a laboratory environment.

Demetrius said...

We had a Dyson for a while, it seemed a good idea at the time. But it didn't really fit and so we dumped it. We did not get our money's worth.

A K Haart said...

Demetrius - yes they do seem to end up being dumped even when they don't look all that old.