Pages

Thursday 17 January 2013

Sainsbury's stripped


We have just returned from a Sainsbury's frenzy.

Manic!

I suppose it's the Met Office snow warnings. Apparently we are doomed because a few inches of snow are expected tomorrow. Perishable stuff will be unobtainable and we'll all get scurvy.

As far as I can tell from a scrimmage around Sainsbury's, perishable seems to be primarily potatoes and cakes, so the crisis is serious but potentially containable.

Even so, I can understand the sense of distress fluttering around the store.

We managed to snatch a bag of spuds off an old lady while she wasn't looking, so that's us safe and sound. No cakes though, so we'll have to rough it.

6 comments:

James Higham said...

This panic buying thing is getting ridiculous.

A K Haart said...

James - it was worse than I've indicated, but I kept it lighthearted.

Sam Vega said...

Panic buying is for disorganised people with no talent for preparation.

I've bought a big axe so I can murder and rob the woman next door when she gets back from Sainsbury's.

Macheath said...

I had a similar experience today - my local area seems to be prone to pre-snow panic buying (despite a large bread factory in town and a nearby motorway) but this is the first time I've had a feeling that people were genuinely worried (or perhaps it was just the after-effects of having had to park in a seething maelstrom of frustrated drivers).

Demetrius said...

It must be difficult to believe but it is possible to arrange the household provisioning in such a way as to avoid any of this. But with the modern retailing systems this has been forgotten.

A K Haart said...

Sam - shows foresight, but apparently she favours the Sainsbury's Basics range of burgers.

Mac - yes I caught that - worried in the same way that sheep worry when you walk through their field.

Demetrius - yes, we used to shop for a week at a time. Maybe it's something to do because TV is so poor.