Thursday, 17 January 2013

Sainsbury's stripped

We have just returned from a Sainsbury's frenzy.


I suppose it's the Met Office snow warnings. Apparently we are doomed because a few inches of snow are expected tomorrow. Perishable stuff will be unobtainable and we'll all get scurvy.

As far as I can tell from a scrimmage around Sainsbury's, perishable seems to be primarily potatoes and cakes, so the crisis is serious but potentially containable.

Even so, I can understand the sense of distress fluttering around the store.

We managed to snatch a bag of spuds off an old lady while she wasn't looking, so that's us safe and sound. No cakes though, so we'll have to rough it.


James Higham said...

This panic buying thing is getting ridiculous.

A K Haart said...

James - it was worse than I've indicated, but I kept it lighthearted.

Sam Vega said...

Panic buying is for disorganised people with no talent for preparation.

I've bought a big axe so I can murder and rob the woman next door when she gets back from Sainsbury's.

Macheath said...

I had a similar experience today - my local area seems to be prone to pre-snow panic buying (despite a large bread factory in town and a nearby motorway) but this is the first time I've had a feeling that people were genuinely worried (or perhaps it was just the after-effects of having had to park in a seething maelstrom of frustrated drivers).

Demetrius said...

It must be difficult to believe but it is possible to arrange the household provisioning in such a way as to avoid any of this. But with the modern retailing systems this has been forgotten.

A K Haart said...

Sam - shows foresight, but apparently she favours the Sainsbury's Basics range of burgers.

Mac - yes I caught that - worried in the same way that sheep worry when you walk through their field.

Demetrius - yes, we used to shop for a week at a time. Maybe it's something to do because TV is so poor.