Pages

Thursday 15 November 2012

Book power



Picture the scene...

The wood-burner has settled down to a pleasing flicker of flame filtering through glowing embers. Drawing perfectly tonight, not too much wind in the chimney, not too little.

I switch on the CD player. What type of music? Maybe some early jazz to liven the spirits? Something to  tone down the pleasing but soporific glow of the fire perhaps? Yes - I think so.

Next, a glass of port, poured with care from the Victorian decanter. As always I admire its colour before taking a preliminary sip. I love the colour of port. Hold the glass by its slender stem; gaze at the flames through plummy, raisin-scented shades.

Okay - the glass of port goes on the side table next to the decanter while I choose what to read. The fire won’t need another log for a while so I’ll fetch my Kindle. I've finished Stephen Crane and polished off one of Thackeray's novellas, so it's about time I made a start on Mr Palomar as recommended by Sam...

Right ho, I'm all settled now. A glass of port by my elbow, fire burning well, curtains drawn and now for Mr Palomar on my Kindle...

Shit! Low battery...

4 comments:

James Higham said...

Good to see you still have all your hair there, AKH.

A K Haart said...

James - it's not that colour though.

Electro-Kevin said...

Couldn't you plug it into the mains ?

ELECTRO-Kevin knows about these things.

A K Haart said...

Kev - I could, but I don't like reading it with a dangling lead. It's a personal thing I suppose, but to me it doesn't feel right.

In this case I put the thing on charge and dug the laptop out for a bit of web browsing.