Pages

Thursday 15 March 2012

Embarrassed by the BBC?



Are you embarrassed by the BBC? Try STFTO, the brand new lifestyle regime for active minds.

I hardly ever watch the BBC, so I suppose the answer for me is no – I’m not really embarrassed. But at the same time it occurs to me that perhaps I ought to be.

The BBC is merely our UK state broadcaster so rational expectations are lower than a snake’s arse, but really – is it a dignified situation?

Imagine if you will, a BBC with austere, dry-as-dust standards. A BBC where serious discussion is always factual and as neutral as ten layers of magnolia paint. A BBC with such rigorous standards that it is cited as an authority all over the world. Even the most keen-eyed critic can find little wrong with the steely rigor of its corporate approach to all matters of public concern.

I won’t labour the point, but I when I compare the BBC as it is with what the BBC ought to be - then I’m at least momentarily embarrassed. I don’t pursue the issue with any real enthusiasm, but satisfy myself with the occasional sniping post. Unfortunately the BBC is really too embarrassing to take seriously.

It may even become a subject we don’t discuss in polite society. The dirty little secret we don’t mention, like where poo goes after flushing.

2 comments:

James Higham said...

The BBC is merely our UK state broadcaster so rational expectations are lower than a snake’s arse

'Tweren't always so, of course. Look at some of the programmes of yore.

A K Haart said...

JH - I agree. Serious was more serious and funny was actually funny.