Pages

Wednesday, 11 January 2012

I, Robot?


There's lots of clever technology going on here, but the core of this demo is still based around pick-and-place.

For its main task of pouring liquid, Honda's Asimo isn't doing anything much more sophisticated than the laboratory robots I worked with twenty years ago. Asimo itself will be far more sophisticated, but it doesn't seem to be  achieving much in practical terms. The main practical differences seem to be :-
  • the self-propelled walking*
  • wireless operation*
  • the sophisticated hands
  • object location and identification. 
* But note what looks like a huge battery pack on its back.

No doubt it's clever stuff, but progress seems slow to me. Maybe I'm being over-critical and it just needs another twenty years of chipping away at the problems, but I'm also cynical enough to wonder which budget funds Asimo's development - R&D or PR?

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

First thought: "That's a scam using a mime artist."

Second thought: "Yikes! Japan's tallest woman!"

David Duff said...

Let's not be too dismisive, I wonder if he can mix a mean dry martini?

Demetrius said...

The real question is which of our political parties should he, she or it lead?

James Higham said...

The last line is the point.

A K Haart said...

SV - surely she doesn't wiggle right!

DD - shaken rather slowly, but yes I bet it can.

D - any of them surely.

JH - yes, I think PR may be a big part of it - hi-tech know-how is part of the Honda brand.