Pages

Monday 12 December 2011

Alcohol and unsafe sex


Alcohol can lead to unsafe sex: It’s official


In this case, official simply refers to this study on the link between alcohol consumption and the likelihood of a drink or two causing folk to fumble their way into an unsafe sexual encounter. The link is to an abstract, so the fascinating question of methodology isn't pursued. For example:-

In these experiments study participants were randomly allocated to one of two groups in which they either consumed alcohol or did not. Then their intention to engage in unsafe sex was measured.

Crikey - the mind boggles - how exactly was it measured or are we better off not knowing? And all in the name of science - maybe.

8 comments:

Sam Vega said...

"how exactly was it measured"?

Well, the most fun method would involve penile plethysmography and some pictures of the likes of Pete Doherty or a platoon of soldiers from the environs of Kampala.

I hope you can make the link between this and your earlier post. Your junk-shop owner was probably clasped in a diseased and violent embrace before his coffee and brandy had time to settle. I bet that rocking chair could tell a tale or two...

A K Haart said...

SV - Fun method? Pete Doherty? A pint of absinthe wouldn't do it for me.

Sam Vega said...

Hmmm, I meant for the observers, rather than the participants.

But having stated this, you have ruled yourself out of any future studies, so well done you!

A K Haart said...

SV - too late, I've started on the absinthe... and that rocking-chair is beginning to rock...

Mark Wadsworth said...

It's like it says in that old song:

"Alcohol and unsafe sex, alcohol and unsafe sex,
Go together like a horse and carriage"

Only that didn't scan or rhyme properly and was considered a bit risqué, so they changed it to "Love and marriage, love and marriage".

A K Haart said...

MW - I was always told "love and college, love and college..." but I suppose that was just to get me to get on with some homework (:

rogerh said...

I hope not a penny piece of my money went on this rubbish. Off with their funding (and other bits).

A K Haart said...

rogerh - I'm not sure about the funding, but I suspect it's worth a little digging.